Skip to main content

Welcome to the world of Mahjong!!!

Mahjong is an ancient game of skill and strategy, and also known as a Game of Thousand Intelligences.

It's played with tiles and traces its origins to China. The game became popular in the west during the early twentieth century. It is fast catching the fancy of ladies in India too. This blog strives to bring together people who play this fascinating game, put together rules and to put together some fun trivia !



My First Game


That beautiful Mahjong set I bought in Singapore, held a very special place not only in my heart but also in one of my boxes! It only saw light when i was packing and unpacking during our many postings. And I still didn't know how to play the game. This wasn't because I was dumb and couldn't pick up this "intelligent" game, but more because I didn't come across anyone in our circles who played. 
Every posting, during the packing and unpacking, I would open the set, soak in the sight of the beautiful tiles but still oblivious to how to play with them.
Then in 2008 we moved to Pathankot, where there was some buzz about this game and this is where I finally, nearly after 7 years of buying the set, learnt this beautiful game of tiles. This is also when I realised that this game is above all barriers and builds friendships for life.
Pathankot times were great Mahjong times.... 
But soon it was time for us to move again, and this time to West Bengal where again, the set rested for lack of players.
But I did get an opportunity to go back to Pathankot after a couple of months. We were there for about 2 days and commitments were back to back. But a game of Mahjong with old friends had to be played. The only time we got to play was  pre breakfast! But we played....had to... And it was probably the best game ever... Friends catching up and chatting over the clattering of the tiles.
That's Mahjong....

Comments